Monday, February 19, 2007

Waxing Poetic...

So I thought that I would post a few of my favorite poems

First, there is Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky". When I first came upon it as a young boy, I enjoyed it just b/c of the funny words. As I have grown, however, I have really enjoyed the story and the mental picture that I get every time I hear it.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.


'Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!'


He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought--
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.


And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!


One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.


'And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.


'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.


Second is Rudyard Kipling's "Recessional". I memorized this while in my high school British Literature class and delivered it on parent's night. Even though it started out being tied to school (not always the most-loved thing), I have grown to love the almost "scriptural" qualities of this work. It also speaks to the time of the English Empire, and something about that draws me. Overall, I just can't put into words exactly why enjoy the poem.

God of our fathers, known of old --
Lord of our far-flung battle line --
Beneath whose awful hand we hold
Dominion over palm and pine --
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget -- lest we forget!


The tumult and the shouting dies --
The Captains and the Kings depart --
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice,
An humble and a contrite heart.
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget -- lest we forget!


Far-called our navies melt away --
On dune and headland sinks the fire --
Lo, all our pomp of yesterday
Is one with Nineveh and Tyre!
Judge of the Nations, spare us yet,
Lest we forget -- lest we forget!


If, drunk with sight of power, we loose
Wild tongues that have not Thee in awe --
Such boastings as the Gentiles use,
Or lesser breeds without the Law --
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget -- lest we forget!


For heathen heart that puts her trust
In reeking tube and iron shard --
All valiant dust that builds on dust,
And guarding calls not Thee to guard.
For frantic boast and foolish word,
Thy Mercy on Thy People, Lord!
-Amen.

Take care all, as you shovel out of your respective homes. Take heart in the fact that things are warming up (and don't think about the impending floods that will come after everything melts).

God Bless,
Chris Griese

6 comments:

Mandy said...

Christopher,
(nice title)

I loved poem number two it was extremely thought provoking. The first poem I think I will need to read about ten times in order to grasp what all the words mean unless of course they are located in the dictionary :)

I did not realize you liked poems.

Thanks for bring up the pending flood I am sure the thought alone will be deeply appriciated:0
I will be on a rainbow look out, I will give warning if one is not spotted!

C. Wilson said...

Awesome you've memorized a poem. :) The pending flood of melting snow isn't so bad here.

C. Wilson said...

Oh, and to point fun:

"Waxing Poetic"

Did Mr Miyagi teach you that? Wax peoms on, wax poems off..breath in, breath out...

Michelle H. said...

Was Jabberwock in Star Wars somewhere? It just seem like a name that should be!

GusGus said...

No... No... No... Not Jabberwocky. The Rancor was in the Star Wars series... specifically Episode 6: Return of the Jedi.

Ok... Michelle, I'm just going to have to let you know when Mark has a "Star Wars" movie day, and you can come and "Geek out" with all of us Star Wars nerds.

Anonymous said...

I, for one, would like to experience Star Wars with some TRUE fans. I like it but not to the extent of some...nerds, as you say.